Thursday, February 16, 2012

The Seedy Side of Snack Foods

Who doesn't occasionally like to munch on a salty snack? But if "occasionally" translates to more than 3 or 4 times a week, then I think it wise to find a satisfying snack that is not fried and has some redeeming value or even a "perceived" health benefit.

I believe that roasted pumpkin seeds walk this fine line of satisfying that junk food craving, while at the same time, finding redemption by also possessing a rather impressive nutrient profile. These flat kernels are second only to peanuts in protein content, lower in fat than most nuts and an excellent source of iron. What I also like about pumpkin seeds is the low-maintenance required to eat them. Pumpkin seeds can be eaten, shell-and-all, so there is no cracking, peeling, spitting or ditching of outer husks to be concerned about.

The problem with pumpkin seeds is that it's nearly impossible to find a brand that does 'em just right. Most brands of pumpkin seeds you'll find in the market today are much too salty. Or worse yet, they have almost no salt at all – you'd be better off buying a bag of bird seed. I've sampled some that look appealing in the package, but then turn out to be too pliable with little or no crunch.

About 5 years ago I discovered the perfect seed at Trader Joe's. Trader Joe's pumpkin seeds are done to perfection! Not under or over roasted, lightly salted and you'll get a generous size bag at a relatively low cost. Now the problem with TJ's seed is that it is available for a time and then disappears for many months, even years at a time. I actually went through a spell of nearly 2 years without my TJ's seed fix. This last spell where it became available, I stocked up and even had my friends buying up seed for future reserve during the long famine periods. Whenever I go to a Trader Joe's store I immediately run to the seed aisle with hopeful anticipation, and frequent disappointment.

Why can't anybody else do pumpkin seeds right?

No comments:

Post a Comment