Wednesday, January 11, 2012

I'm On a Roll...Let's Talk Tamales!






So, this is one of those evenings where there is no planned dinner to speak of. These occasions are actually rare in my household, but they do occur about once a month, usually due to scheduling situations that force a late lunch for my wife. This results in a fast food alternative for her and kids, which leaves me hanging, as I come in later from a commute from the city. This simply means that I need fend for myself, whether it involves opening a can of soup, snacking on hummus and pita chips, or just noshing on an eclectic sample of food item stores available in the various fridge compartments.


Sometimes I can get very creative, but tonight I just wanted something quick, satisfying and relatively healthy. It suddenly struck me that I had a few dozen tamales in the freezer…perfect! When I say tamales, I'm not talking about those over-processed, salty, paper-bound junk food items that are a side item that you find at a Chicago-style hot dog joint. These are the real deal! My mom being Mexican does it right, the Mexican way…



And as any good Mexican will tell you, tamales are done around the holidays, are mass-produced and can be a family social event as several dozen can be prepared, with varying ingredients from pork, beef, cheese, chili peppers or any combination thereof. A real Mexican tamale is made from yellow or white corn masa, rolled in a corn husk and bound with a string of husk. They are generally grouped in half-dozen packages and given to family and friends as gifts.

Every year my Mom and Dad prepare several dozen and bring these gifts to our home at Christmas time. And every year I count on at least one of my brothers forgetting his dozen and leaving me with additional inventory. The rule is to always steam them – never microwave, as this dries them out. I love them and can easily make a meal by adding some salsa, sour cream, an avocado and some beans on the side. This is my dinner tonight. I realize my parents only have so many tamale-producing times left, so I must learn the art, keep up the tradition and keep rolling on…

No comments:

Post a Comment