Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Bring It On, Old Man Winter...




I don't understand why so many people have a problem with the days getting shorter and the temperature falling during this time of the year. If you live here, in the Midwest, it's just the way it is. I say embrace it. I am one of the few who seem to have no problem with time change, cold weather, cloudy days or big storms (providing there is no serious power loss, flooding or major damage to person or property). I love the idea of burrowing in a down comforter with a good book (or The Good Book) as a winter storm rages outside.


This weekend we must remember to change our clocks. We roll it back one hour so that it will be dark by 5:00 pm, when I'm getting out of work. This event is very depressing to many people. As for me – I really like it…really! I love the chill that November brings; I love the idea of walking in the cooler temperature. I like the leaves blowing around and the warm glow coming from the homes of tree-lined neighborhoods as I imagine families having dinner together, and just doing family things in the cozy confines of their private little nests. I love the time after Halloween leading up to Thanksgiving as it conjures for me even more Rockwellian impressions.


The time between Thanksgiving and Christmas is almost magical as the first snows begin to fall and the holiday treatments begin to adorn the homes in honor of my Lord, the smell of wood burning in the fireboxes and a warm glass of wine awaits my arrival. This is my season and I never dread the shorter days, the colder nights or the harried pace. And I know that soon enough the pendulum swings the other way. Before I know it, I will be blogging about my spring garden preparation.

No comments:

Post a Comment