Sunday, October 30, 2011

The answer my friend is blowin' in the wind...a halloweeeeen story!!

Dim the lights and sit by the campfire for this story.  There is a spooky tone to it....Okay, not real spooky, just my wandering mind (better it wander to the paranormal than the thoughts it has when I am a 12 year old boy...)


So my kid has a real job.  A 9 to 5 er (actually an 830-530er but you know what I mean).  He needed his social security card to bring to work tomorrow.  He is a bit nervous as he wants to make a good impression so having everything they ask for is essential in his getting good sleep tonight.  Yesterday, his father and I went to the store to buy him a few shirts as a "good luck" present.  We find some nice ones (even if the father was dubious about the purple strip one, but I know this kid and he'll look a treat in it) and took them home to be laundered and ironed.  The phone rings and aforementioned son reminded me to bring the soc card.  I looked in the file and gasp!!! No card!! I'm freaking out. I keep yelling "Father Father!! Where is sons card??".  No answer.  I'm running around and the father overhears and says "oh, I put it with the shirts I ironed". WHEW!  So all is well...until the morning.......


Grab a bag, put shirts, card, other mail in the bag.  Flop it in the back seat.  Now this is a very very big bag and the contents are very small and down in the bottom of the bag. Oh, let me mention...it is a winnie the pooh blustery day in the city.  It is a detail to take note of.  Traffic is light, we make the city in record time.  I get out of the car, grab the bag  being careful to hold it just so to avoid the newly pressed shirts getting wrinkled and walk to his apartment.  We take shirts out of bag and HORROR!!! No social security card!  We shake out mail, shirts, stuff on his bed and determine that, nope, card is not there.  I run down to the car and look in the back seat and around the car, nope, card is not there. THERE IS NOW A PANIC!!!  It is decided that the card never made it into the bag (although deep down inside I believe it did).  I can't explain this.  I hop in the car and head for home to see if I can find the prankster playing government identification.  I'm heading close to home when it hits me.....this would be my late mothers idea of a perfect Halloween joke...her's and my late brothers.....I say out loud "HEY...ENOUGH IS ENOUGH...I know you are pranking me, but my son?? He is your buddy!! He is your shining light!! This is going to effect the one you love the most! It won't just f me up mother! It is going to f up the light of your now former life!!"  Approximately 35 seconds later my phone rings...it is my son.."Mom, you are not going to believe it, dad and I were outside looking around and I bent down to look under the cars on the opposite side of the road and when I stood up I looked to my right and there it was...blowing in the grass down the street. Damn thing had to be out there for 45 minutes or so..but i have it"......Hmmmm....coincidence that he found it just after I reminded my late mother who would suffer from her prank???  Could be, but as it is Halloween eve, I think not....I'm sleeping with one eye open tonight.

1 comment: