Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Halloween… Humbug!

I'm not easily irked, but when I think about the things that burn my cork, much of what I realize bothers me often involve some form of waste. Waste of time, waste of money, waste of energy. Something else that annoys me is stupid trends. Fanny packs, baby on board signs, silly bandz and stemless wine glasses are some of the stupidest trends that immediately come to mind.

I was driving with a friend just last week, who also happens to be a contributor to this blog site, and saw that somebody was still proudly displaying a baby on board sign in the rear window of their car. My friend commented on how ridiculous these little warning signs are. She said, "Do these people actually believe that we are going to drive differently just because they have these signs in their car window?"

Well I've been noticing a stupid trend the last few weeks that violates all of the above. This trend is wasteful of time, money, energy and frankly it violates my senses. I'm talking about those ridiculous Halloween lights that people are stringing on heir bushes, porches and trees that are becoming so popular. Really? What is the point? All of a sudden it's not enough to have a jack-o-lantern or scarecrow on your porch? Jamming a faux tombstone in your lawn scrawled with RIP doesn't cut it anymore for you? Stuffing a stupid pumpkin-faced garbage bag full of leaves at least served a practical purpose.

Halloween lights on a string looks more like colorblind Christmas crap! Don't you people realize that we can't even tell that each lantern is a miniature skull unless we are two feet away? Oh, I'm sorry, they are a string of tiny eyeballs, or are they spiders? Who the heck can tell from the street…inside a car? Have you people heard about our country's energy crisis? Is it not enough to deck out your house for the real holidays? I guess I can be a little more generous and give you some credit for spending on something so useless. If you have the money to throw around on such nonsense as spooky spider lights, maybe the situation concerning our economic state isn't as dire as we might think.







1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with you, Jim. The only time it is acceptable to hang Halloween lights, is if your home has been turned into a haunted house. Then, and only then, can you display a thread of skull bulbs. Otherwise, you're just overdoing it and wasting everyone's time.

    ReplyDelete